Radiation Oncology Services
The Latest Technology working for you
In keeping with our commitment to provide the highest standard of patient care in the community, Sacred Heart Hospital is pleased to provide the latest scientific technology available. We have the capability of combining imaging and treatment technologies that can be used to deliver the widest range of external beam radiotherapies.
We are proud to be one of the only facilities in Northwest Florida to offer High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy (HDR) and Gamma Knife services.
The use the latest technological advances allow many patient benefits including:
- Through more precise targeting of the beam, radiotherapy can be more effective at treating the disease while simultaneously reducing side effects of the treatment.
- Higher doses of radiation can be delivered directly to cancer cells while sparing more of the surrounding healthy tissue and organs.
- Due to the increased accuracy and power, smaller sessions can be treated more quickly, easily and effectively.
- State-of-the-art motion management techniques allow doctors to coordinate treatment with a patient's breathing patterns. During these treatments, patients can continue to breathe naturally, reducing stress and increasing comfort.
- Radiotherapy can be used to treat more types of cancer, which means that more patients can be spared the invasive techniques of surgery and/or chemotherapy.
Dr. Gerald Lowrey and Dr. Robert Marcus are highly-trained radiation oncologists with a log history of providing advanced cancer care for patients in Northwest Florida. Together, they have over 50 years of experience in the field of radiation oncology. They work closely with other physicians such as surgical oncologist, other surgeons, internal medicine subspecialists, pathologist, and medical oncologists, as part of the multidisciplinary cancer team at Sacred Heart.
Find out more about Dr. Gerald Lowrey
Find out more about Dr. Robert Marcus
What is Radiation Therapy?
Radiation therapy is a form of cancer treatment that uses high-energy radiation to shrink tumors, kill cancer cells or keep them from growing and dividing. The radiation may be delivered by a machine outside the body (external-beam radiation) or it may come from radioactive material placed in the body near cancer cells (brachytherapy).
Each patientís treatment plan is unique to that patient. The Radiation Oncologist will determine the optimum doses that maximize effectiveness and minimize any harm to healthy tissues. The radiation oncologist will select the type of therapy best suited for the particular type of cancer.
Patients may receive radiation therapy alone or in combination with other treatment modalities like, surgery, chemotherapy, hormone therapy and/or immunotherapy. Throughout your treatment, your radiation oncologist works in conjunction with your care team to monitor your side effects and your progress.
In keeping with our commitment to provide the highest standard of patient care in the community, we are pleased to provide state of the art Cancer Care at Sacred Heart Hospital.
Some of the types of Radiotherapy service are: (Links for each to a brief description)