TOBACCO-FREE HIRING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
Why is Sacred Heart Health System implementing a tobacco free hiring policy?
- Sacred Heart Health System is committed to promoting the health, well-being and safety of their patients, associates, physicians and visitors while on the System campuses and facilities. Tobacco use is a proven health and safety hazard, both to smokers and non-smokers exposed to secondhand smoke. Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States and the use of tobacco products is inconsistent with the System's healthcare mission. As a healthcare provider, it is important to educate and model healthy behaviors. For this reason, Sacred Heart Health System is a tobacco free campus and is taking measures to establish a tobacco-free workforce.
I am a tobacco user and applying for a position at SHHS; how does the tobacco free hiring policy affect me?
- As of January 1, 2014, Sacred Heart Health System will no longer hire tobacco users. All new associates will be tested for tobacco use (i.e., nicotine) as part of the pre-employment drug screening process. As an applicant, you will be asked a question regarding tobacco use. If you indicate that you have used tobacco products in the last 90 days prior to your application, you will not be able to proceed any further with online process.
What happens if I test positive for tobacco/nicotine during the application process?
- Any candidate that tests positive for nicotine will not be eligible for employment and the offer of employment will be withdrawn immediately. Applicants are eligible to reapply 12 months after testing positive for nicotine during which time they must remain tobacco free.
I am currently using nicotine replacement therapy and/or electronic cigarettes; will that impact my nicotine screen?
- Yes. Any product that you consume or otherwise use that contains nicotine will result in a positive test, including nicotine replacement products and/or therapies (e.g., patches, inhalers, lozenges, gum, electric/smoke-free cigarettes, etc).
Once I pass the tobacco-free hiring selection process, can I use tobacco products occasionally once employed with SHHS?
- No. It is the intent of this policy that associates hired after the January 1, 2014 must remain tobacco free for the duration of their employment. Sacred Heart Health System reserves the right to nicotine test associates randomly for compliance with this policy throughout the year.
Who do I contact if I have questions about the tobacco-free hiring policy?
- If you have questions regarding the tobacco free hiring policy, please contact the Ministry Service Center at 855-562-2824.
We sincerely thank you for your interest in Sacred Heart Health System.
Return to Homepage or View All Job Postings