Child Life Practicum
Child Life Practicum (Summer Semester Only) Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital (SHCH) Child Life Department offers a practicum opportunity for students actively pursuing a career as a child life specialist. Practicum students are required to either currently be enrolled in their junior/senior year or have graduated with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Child Life, Child Development, Child Health, Education, or a related field.
The Child Life practicum is 10-weeks (180 hours) in length and offers opportunities to gain experience in our 21-bed School-age/Adolescent Unit, 20-bed Infant/Toddler Unit, 10-bed PICU, as well as our Outpatient Infusion Center. Patients typically range in age from 0-18 years old and consist of a variety of diagnosis both acute and chronic conditions. The practicum experience at SHCH aims to provide the student with the needed knowledge to be adequately prepared for acceptance to a child life internship.
Child Life Practicum Deadline
Summer February 5th
- 2.5 GPA overall / 3.0 GPA in major
- Major in Child Life, Child Development, Child Health, Education, or related field
- 50 hours experience working with infants, children, youth, and/or families
- Completion of relevant coursework– minimum of 5 courses before start of practicum
- Child Development, Adolescent Development, Family Dynamics, etc.
- Play Theory, Hospitalized Child, Death and Dying, etc.
- Child Life course taught by CCLS recommended - can be in progress
- Minimum of 1 course in child development with a “B” or higher
- Practicum Application
- College/University Transcripts – unofficial transcripts are acceptable
- 2 Reference Letters – on business letterhead with signature in sealed envelope
If accepted, students will have additional requirements to fulfill prior to start of internship such as:
- CPR Certification
- Criminal Background Screening
- Drug Screening
- Liability Insurance (non-affiliated students)
Please submit completed application packet on or before the deadline to:
Child Life Department
Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital
5151 N. Ninth Avenue
Pensacola, FL 32504
Incomplete application packets will not be considered