Pediatric Emergency Department
Emergencies can strike at any hour. Fortunately, The Children’s Hospital at Sacred Heart is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week with team members who are specially trained in caring for children, using equipment that is specially designed for a child’s smaller anatomy.
Why Choose Sacred Heart
When it comes to your child’s health, don’t settle for less than the best. True pediatric emergency care is more than a colorful room with kid-friendly artwork and toys. Our Pediatric Emergency Room is backed by The Children's Hospital at Sacred Heart, the only children's hospital in Northwest Florida, and offers:
- Pediatric emergency medicine physicians
- Equipment sized just for infants and children
- Physicians, practitioners, nurses and support staff who are dedicated to and work only with children
- Pediatric pharmacy, with pharmacists and staff specially trained in preparing medications for children
- Onsite fellowship-trained specialists in pediatric radiology and pediatric anesthesia
- Dedicated Neonatal/Pediatric Transport Team
- Access to more than 120 board-certified physicians across 28 pediatric specialties, including:
- Cancer Care
- Critical Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Endocrinology & Diabetes Care
- General & Thoracic Surgery
Designed Just For Kids
Taking your child to the emergency room is stressful, so we’ve gone to great lengths to make our facilities as child-friendly as possible, with a separate waiting area just for kids and their parents and 12 private, brightly decorated rooms to help your child feel as calm and comfortable as possible.
Because children’s medical needs are vastly different from those of adults, we offer advanced equipment especially designed for diagnosing and treating medical emergencies in kids, from infants as small as 6 pounds to adolescents up to 18 years of age. To minimize your wait time, lab tests and X-rays are offered inside the Pediatric Emergency Department.
Equipped to handle a wide range of medical problems, our team is made up of surgeons, physicians, nurses, social workers and rehabilitation therapists who have specialized training and expertise in caring for children. Patients requiring additional care beyond the Emergency Room can be admitted to The Children’s Hospital, just down the hallwall. Sacred Heart provides children’s medical care across 28 pediatric subspecialties.
Regional Neonatal & Pediatric Transport Services
As Northwest Florida’s only pediatric trauma referral center, Sacred Heart Hospital offers medical transportation services – including both ground and air transportation – to bring prematurely born, critically ill and injured babies and children to The Children’s Hospital. Learn more.
Where to Go
The Pediatric Emergency Room is not located inside The Children's Hospital, but adjacent to the adult Emergency Room & Trauma Center on the Sacred Heart Pensacola Campus. Please follow the signs to the Emergency Room, and park in the lot adjacent to the building. For further wayfinding, please see our detailed campus map here.
What to Bring With You
To make your trip to the Pediatric Emergency Room is as quick and stress-free as possible, parents are asked to bring the following items:
- Your child's immunization history
- Your pediatrician’s phone number
- Information about any conditions or chronic illnesses your child may have
- (If available) X-rays or lab test results from other hospitals or clinics relating to your child's current illness
Quick Care for Sick Kids - No appointments needed!
When your child is sick or injured and can’t wait until your pediatrician’s office opens, the pediatric experts at The Children’s Hospital are here to help. Our board-certified pediatricians of Sacred Heart's Pediatric After-Hours at Pace are available evenings and weekends to deliver the care your child needs as quickly as possible.
Our entire staff is expertly trained in care for children of all ages and can treat most minor medical issues, including:
- Cold and Flu
- Ear and Eye Infections
- Sprains and Muscle Injuries
- Minor Burns and Rashes
- Asthma and Allergies
Pediatric After-Hours is ready to serve you! Learn more here.