Forgetting something important is the last thing most patients want to think about before joint replacement surgery. For your peace of mind and to ensure a comfortable surgery experience, we have provided a simple checklist of tasks you need to complete before your surgery, as well items for you to bring with you for your stay at Sacred Heart
- Take a shower or bath the night before or the morning of your surgery with an antibacterial soap. This will help reduce the risk of infection.
- Do not shave the area of the surgery. If this is necessary, the doctor will take care of it.
- Do not put anything including lotion or powder around the area of surgery after your shower.
- Do not wear any make-up, lipstick or nail polish.
- No food of any kind including milk products after midnight the night prior to surgery. You may consume 16 ounces of clear liquids up to two hours prior to time of arrival to the hospital. If you are given a carbohydrate loading drink, you must complete it two hours prior to arrival time and it is included in the 16 ounces.
Pack a bag for the hospital. Some of the items you should include are:
- Your Joint Replacement Notebook
- A pair of comfortable, sturdy bedroom slippers with non-skid soles, including tennis shoes, house shoes, or deck shoes. Do not bring flip-flops, open back shoes or slippers
- Loose fitting clothes - nothing that will tangle around your feet and ankles when you walk, including a Knee Length Robe, Shorts, Tops, T-Shirts, Exercise Pants, Shorts, & Socks.
- A lightweight camisole or cotton shirt to wear under your hospital gown
- Copies of your Insurance Cards, Advance Medical Directives, Medical History, Papers from the Red Cross if you have donated blood.
- A list of any allergies you have to medicine, food, clothing, latex, etc. and how you react to each one.
- A list of the medicines you take at home, including their strength and how often you take each one.
- Any medications you regularly take
- Personal care items such as, Toothpaste, Shampoo, Deodorant, Glasses, hearing aids and any other item you use each day.
- Your CPAP or BIPAP machine, if applicable
- Leave your cash, credit cards and jewelry at home