Forgetting something important is the last thing most patients want to think about before joint replacement surgery. For your peace of mind and to ensure a comfortable surgery experience, we have provided a simple checklist of tasks you need to complete before your surgery, as well items for you to bring with you for your stay at Sacred Heart
- Take a shower or bath the night before and the morning of your surgery with Dial soap or other antibacterial soap. This will help reduce the risk of infection.
- Do not shave the area of the surgery. If this is necessary, the doctor will take care of it.
- Do not put anything including lotion or powder around the area of surgery after your shower.
- Do not wear any make-up, lipstick or nail polish.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery. This includes ice ships, mints, chewing gum, coffee, etc. If you have been instructed to take any medication on the morning of surgery, please take it with the smallest sip of water possible. This will help prevent any nausea from the anesthesia.
Pack a bag for the hospital. Some of the items you should include are:
- Your Joint Replacement Notebook
- A pair of comfortable, sturdy bedroom slippers with non-skid soles, including tennis shoes, house shoes, or deck shoes. Do not bring flip-flops, open back shoes or slippers
- Loose fitting clothes - nothing that will tangle around your feet and ankles when you walk, including a Knee Length Robe, Shorts, Tops, T-Shirts, Exercise Pants, Shorts, & Socks.
- A lightweight camisole or cotton shirt to wear under your hospital gown
- Copies of your Insurance Cards, Advance Medical Directives, Medical History, Papers from the Red Cross if you have donated blood.
- A list of any allergies you have to medicine, food, clothing, latex, etc. and how you react to each one.
- A list of the medicines you take at home, including their strength and how often you take each one.
- Any medications you regularly take
- Personal care items such as, Toothpaste, Shampoo, Deodorant, Glasses, hearing aids and any other item you use each day.
- Your CPAP or BIPAP machine, if applicable
- Leave your cash, credit cards and jewelry at home