What is Palliative Care?
- Palliative Care is specialized medical care devoted to improving quality of life for patients with serious illness.
- Palliative Care is appropriate at any age and at any stage in a serious illness and can be provided along with curative treatment.
- The interdisciplinary team provides consultation addressing relief from pain and other distressing symptoms, communication about patient/family goals of care, psychosocial needs, spiritual needs, and referral to community resources.
Who provides Palliative Care?
Our growing interdisciplinary team consists of a board-certified physician, certified advanced registered nurse-practitioners, a licensed clinical social worker, a chaplain, a nurse manager and an administrative assistant.
How Does Palliative Care Work With My Own Doctor?
Our team works alongside with patients other health care providers - from physicians, registered nurses and pharmacists to dieticians, physical and occupational therapists and aides - to provide an extra layer of support, promote education, and to continually provide excellent person-centered care.
Meet Our Palliative Care Team
- Jennifer Dulin, MD
- Hayley Craft, RN, MSN, Manager
- Karen Hartigan, RN, MSN, Palliative Care Coordinator
- Freddie Thronson, ARNP-C
- Kerri Riggs, LCSW, Social Worker
- Cortney Flores, Administrative Secretary
What is the difference between Hospice and Palliative Care?
Palliative care and hospice are not the same. Palliative care is appropriate at any time during a person's serious illness. It can be provided at the same time the person is being treated for his or her disease.
Hospice provides care to people who have a terminal illness with a life expectancy of about six months or less and are no longer seeking life-prolonging treatment.
"The palliative care team was a God-send. They relieved my mother's distressing symptoms and spent so much time with my family explaining her care as well as comforting us. We are so grateful for this great team and service."
- Daughter of a patient who experienced the services from Sacred Heart's Palliative Care team