The TOBACCO CESSATION program consists of:
- Quit Smoking Now, a six week program with a Certified QSN Cessation Clinician.
- One-on-one counseling sessions with a Certified Tobacco Cessation Clinician.
- Proactive telephone counseling to assist you in remaining tobacco-free.
- Pharmacotherapy recommendations based on your medical history, tobacco questionaire and person preference.
- Social support as part of your treatment and assist you in securing social support in your daily life.
Smoking Cessation referrals:
- Physician and Health Care Providers: Contact 850-416-7764 or by fax to 850-416-7246
- Self-Referrals: To initiate the referral process or to obtain more program information, call us at 850-416-7764 or call toll free at 1-888-461-6653
Individual Consultation is a one-on-one consultation that will assess your individual level of nicotine addiction and the stage of readiness to quit. Working in conjunction with your physician, this may or may not include medications to help ease the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. The rest of the follow-up will be done by telephone with a trained tobacco cessation facilitator at scheduled times for a year. This consultation can be done while you are a patient in the hospital or on an outpatient basis through physician referral.
Tobacco Cessation Classes
Classes teach you step-by-step how to replace the nicotine habit with healthy alternatives. These six-week sessions are held five times a year at different times of the day for your convenience. They are held in a supportive, stress-free environment on Sacred Heart Health System property.
You will receive information about nicotine addiction, how it works and pharmacological therapy used in treating it. The group will be given enough time to learn the skills to stop using tobacco and put them to use as well as build a support system before they stop smoking. Relapse prevention techniques will be discussed the weeks following the quit day.
Help With Withdrawal
Relieving the symptoms of withdrawal from nicotine can make it easier to stop smoking. Studies have shown that when you use medications with an intervention program, stop rates increase significantly. The programs are less effective if used alone. Nicotine replacement therapy is available in five forms:
- Nicotine Gum
- Nasal Spray
- Nicotine Patches
- Oral Inhaler
- Commit Lozenge
Which form you choose to use will depend upon your level of addiction, your lifestyle, and your desire to use the product. Two non-nicotine drugs, Zyban (Wellbutrin SR) and Chantix have been found to be effective as well. Zyban (Wellbutrin SR) can be used alone or with nicotine replacement therapy.
Benefits of Quitting
After only. . .
- 8 hours: Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal. Oxygen level in blood increases to normal.
- 48 hours: Nerve endings start regrowing. Ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
- 2 weeks to 3 months: Circulation improves. Walking becomes easier. Lung function increases up to 30 percent.
- 1 to 9 months: Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease. Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs and reduce infection. Bodyís overall energy increases.
- 1 year: Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.
Did You Know?
- Nicotine is the most addictive drug per milligram dosage.
- There are 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco.
- Smoking kills more people in the United States per year than anything else combined.
| More Information
Start to Stop!
Becoming a NON-SMOKER is a process, not just a single act. YOU can make choices and changes that affect your lifestyle and these changes will lead to the goal of a TOBACCO-FREE life.
Let Us Show You How to Quit for Good!
Many smokers who try to stop on their own are successful. However, 95 out of 100 people who try to stop cold turkey are not successful. Research shows that the best success is achieved by getting help in dealing with all three parts of the nicotine addiction (physical, psychological, and habitual). The more help you get, the better your chances of stopping for good. Your success will be greatly influenced by how much you want to stop using tobacco.
Our programs have been proven to work better. The Tobacco Cessation Program tracks the smoking status of everyone who uses its
services for a full year. One-year stop rates reported by participants in the Sacred Heart Tobacco Cessation programs are double the national average quit rates.
For More Information,
850-416-7764 or 1-888-461-6653