Sacred Heart Health System has announced plans to care for a new generation of children starting with construction of a new four-story Children’s Hospital, along with a major expansion to women’s services.
The Studer Family Children’s Hospital at Sacred Heart is the region’s only children’s hospital, serving families across Northwest Florida, South Alabama and South Georgia. The expanded Children’s Hospital will increase access to specialized pediatric and maternity care and consolidate inpatient pediatric services in one convenient location.
To see updates around construction progress, parking changes, entrance closures and more, please visit our construction webpage.
The opening of the new Children’s Hospital is expected to add 100 Sacred Heart jobs for the local community. This growth of healthcare services will also enable recruitment of new pediatric subspecialists.
Sacred Heart Health System is a member of Ascension, the nation’s largest Catholic and non-profit healthcare system.
The new four-story building will connect to the existing Children’s Hospital. The new building will include:
- Pediatric Emergency Department and Trauma Center, an expansion and relocation of Sacred Heart’s current Pediatric Emergency Department
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), an expansion and relocation of Sacred Heart’s current NICU beds that will enable the care of more premature and critically ill infants from across Northwest Florida
- Medical/Surgical beds, overseen 24/7 by Sacred Heart’s pediatric hospitalists
- Extended stay/observation beds, representing a new inpatient unit designed to care for children who aren’t yet ready to go home
- Pediatric satellite pharmacy, with in-house pharmacists and staff especially trained in preparing medications for infants and children
- Pediatric inpatient rehabilitation gym, where Sacred Heart’s physical, occupational and speech therapists can provide care for children during their hospital stay
- Pediatric Imaging Department, where inpatient and outpatient diagnostic testing is specially designed to meet the needs of children, including equipment sized just for infants and children, as well as pediatric radiologists and technicians who are specially certified and work only with children
- Child life playrooms, where child life specialists will work with children and families to promote effective coping through play, self-expression activities and age-appropriate medical education
- Ronald McDonald Family Room, a space where families will able to sleep, eat, shower, do laundry, use a computer and relax mere steps away from the hospital bedside
Sacred Heart Health System and Ascension have committed $55 million, and Sacred Heart will raise the remaining funds from community supporters in order to complete all phases of the expansion.
How You Can Help
Just like the kids we serve – who dream of growing up to be baseball players, firefighters and chefs – we have big plans! The Children’s Hospital is growing to meet the healthcare needs of families across Northwest Florida, but we need your help! Making these big plans a reality requires big support from our donors and community partners.
Read our patients' stories here! To learn how your gift can help support the kids who need our care, call the Sacred Heart Foundation at (850) 416-4660, e-mail email@example.com or make a donation online.
| Support The Children's Hospital